Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Cover letter to Blizzard.

It's no secret that I'm looking for work. It's also no secret that I love all things Blizzard and spend WAY too much time playing WoW.

They are currently looking to fill a few positions that I'm qualified for and part of their process is a cover letter. Here's what I sent them... If this doesn't grab their attention, I don't know what will...

------------------------------------

Dear Blizzard, I love you.

I have so many fond memories of staying up all night re-loading Diablo II maps to complete my Naj’s Ancient Visage set (YAY Sorceress!) to the countless hours creating Warcraft and Starcraft maps for friends, including one game in particular while I was at Interplay were I took on 7 members of my team, and won. Most recently, it would have to be the four years of raiding guilds on the Uther Server with first my Rogue and now my Death Knight (the greatest class ever, seriously). I’ve spent many a hard earned dollar on collector sets and standing in line for signing events, even though I know a lot of the people that work there. I think it’s time for you and I to become a “couple” and maybe, just maybe, I can regale you with all of the awesome times we’ve had together, unbeknownst to you.

Ok, all joking aside… I’ve been making games since 1995. I started at Interplay (as you’ll see below) and even though I’ve been a Producer for seemingly forever, I still love it. I love the thrill of creating something out of an idea and believe it or not, crunch time is where I shine. I’m a good-natured guy that likes to laugh a lot and most of the people I’ve worked with in the past, would work with me again (or so they tell me). I don’t want to come across as a fan boy, but I have played all of the Blizzard games and will continue to do so as they are always done with painful attention to detail. I myself am somewhat of a perfectionist so I’m sure there is a match there somewhere.

For the past 3 years I’ve worked as a Licensing Producer for Mattel. I was responsible for bringing Uno (XBLA) to market and am extremely proud of that product, I mean, who HASN’T played Uno for their entire life? Within the next week or two, the sequel will be coming out (Uno Rush!) and I believe it’s going to do very well as it’s geared towards a 4-player party environment. I also solely produced all other Interactive Video Game development while I was there.

I live here in Irvine with a great family, a Blizzard family. We have 4 computers and between the kids, wife, and myself… there is almost always a game of WoW or Warcraft III going on (two of the kids LOVE the WoW TCG). We love the beach and take the family and our dog there any time that we can. Whenever I’m not working, you can most certainly find me doing something with the family outside of the confines of four walls.

Thanks for your time,
Chip Bumgardner
Producer and Death Knight

-----------------------------------

Just for fun, here are shots of my Rogue and Death Knight.



Kneedeep of Uther



Terrorismo of Uther

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments / words of wisdom below: