Thursday, February 5, 2009

Alaskan Volcano

Luke had an extra credit project this week. It consisted basically of him going on the internet, going to google, and researching the volcano that's about to possibly blow in Alaska.

At dinner time last night, I thought I would ask him to tell everybody in the family what he had learned in his research. He did really well. He was telling all of us how 12,000+ people could possibly be evacuated and that it was near Anchorage as well as what "plumes" means and what-not.

We all asked him questions and he answered all of them and was pretty happy with himself and the research he had done.

When he was done, Kelly and I told the kids about when Mount St. Helen erupted. Kelly was talking about her perspective (being from Maryland and all) and when she was done, I had my chance to tell the family about how the ash had come as far down as here in California and that my Mom had gone to the trouble of collecting up some ash in vials for my brother and I. She was of the mindset that it would be worth something someday. Kelly went on to explain that it IS worth something and it would be cool if I could find them to show the kids... All of the kids agreed and excitedly asked "Dad, where is YOUR vial of ashes?" I replied: "I dumped them into my brothers chocolate milk about a week after my Mom gave them to me".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments / words of wisdom below: